Sunday, September 21, 2008


Talat Warowat: a Chiang Mai market specializing in bulk food items, and every manner of dried animal flesh--fish, pork, many unidentifiable food items, and oh, the smell!




Chiang Mai from a nearby mountain (I drove to the top)



The first night in Chiang Mai, I stayed in a real dump, Daret's Guesthouse. I took the last room they had for about $4, and my presence in the room immediately attracted all the local ants, who proceeded to crawl onto the bed towards me. I sprayed some DEET around the bed to keep them at bay. Daret's was really noisy too, right on the main drag, and since it was the night of the Walking Street, I think it was the biggest party night of the week. I tossed and turned all night, thinking of the ants and listening to loud speakers on the street and drunken tourists arriving home at 3 a.m.





The next morning, I went immediately to find a quieter hostel, and I happened upon Grace Guesthouse on a quiet street, somewhat removed from the bar scene. I ended up staying at Grace for 6 nights. It was run by a wonderful Thai family--the father would sit all day on the second floor balcony, looking onto the street, and when I came home, he would say in a thick accent, "hello...you!" The place even had hot water--what a luxury for $4.50 a night!

No comments: