Tuesday, September 23, 2008









The Chiang Dao cave was really something special, and much more low-tech than the caves I have visited in the US (like Meramac Caverns, where you sit in stadium seating in front of the largest stalagtite formation and listen to the Star-Spangled Banner while colored lights flash on the surface of the rock formations). At Chiang Dao, I hired a woman with a lantern for 100 baht to lead me through the cave. Many of the formations were named by the locals (like, "elephant ear") and there were buddhist shrines throughout the complex. My guide was somewhat demanding about taking advantage of photo opportunities, showing me how I could sit down in front of a certain formation and have my picture taken. There were some tight squeezes through different caverns that would have prohibited anyone above a certain girth to enter, and I had a few nervous moments thinking about how long I could survive on half a bottle of water if my guide's lantern went out. There were lots of bats in the cave, which the guide kept refering to as "batman."

No comments: