Tuesday, July 8, 2008





These are photos of my studio and of the art building here on campus at Bangkok U. The students love me, even though we can't speak to each other. The young guys tell me "I love you" when they see me, but I don't think they realize quite what it means. They listen to American pop music in the studios and play ping pong. I've been practicing the word for "play" so that I can ask them if I can try ping pong as well.
If I haven't mentioned it already, the thai language is very difficult for english speakers. Although thais don't conjugate their verbs, the language is based on five tones, which means that one word can have five different meanings depending on how you say it. The word "mai" can mean mile, new, no, right?, and skin depending on the tone mark.
Observations from Bangkok:
1. Old white men with young thai women.
2. There are no napkins here, just toilet paper used as napkins.

No comments: