Sunday, July 6, 2008


On Saturday, I went in search of art materials, which is a much more difficult task than I had anticipated. Of course, nearly everything can be bought on the streets of Bangkok--shoes, watches, brooms, baskets, rope, etc. And each item has it's own tiny storefront or stall. There are small hardware stores which stock house paints and some building materials. To find some normal drawing paper and pencils, however, is more of an adventure. There is an art university, Silpakorn, right across from the Grand Palace, and I was told that they sell art supplies on the campus. In order to get there, I had to wade through blocks of tourist hawkers, tuk tuk drivers, and swindlers of all sorts who are stationed in front of the Grand Palace. Once on the campus, it took me about forty minutes to find the supply store because even though I knew how to say "I'm looking for..." in thai, I don't know how to say "art materials." I should learn that. The store turned out to be the size of a small cubicle, with about 6 workers piled into the space as well.
I ended up buying my materials from one of the only other art stores in town, which is, oddly enough, located on the top floor of a ritzy mall.
The photo that I have included is of Sampeng Ln., which is a long narrow street in Chinatown which sells (wholesale, mainly) everything imaginable.

No comments: